Monday, July 21, 2008

July 2008 meeting

The next meeting will be on July 15th, at 7:00 pm at the Canfield Prebyterian chrurch.

Some things we will talk about:

-- My experiences cleaning out an infection of malware. I had to clean out a bad infection of malware on a neighbor's computer, and I wanted to share what I had to do. I used all of those nice tools from sysinternals that I had shown before: Autoruns, Process Explorer, and Rootkit Revealer, and lots of searches on Google. I also had to use a built-in tool that comes with Windows, the Recovery Console. We'll talk about how you can tell if your computer has an infection, and how to prevent it in the first place.

-- File associations. I had a question about how to view some unknown file that they got in an email. It says they have to set up a "file association". We'll take a look at what that is and how to set one up.

-- Using Gmail, Google's web email program. Gmail is my primary email program now. I'll show you how it works, and why you might want to set up a Gmail account yourself. It's totally free! Gmail also has some neat tools that help you with file attachments, so you don't have to worry about the "file associations" I mentioned above.
As always, we will also try and answer any other computer questions you may have. I hope to see you there!

No comments: